Featured in the February, 2006 Issue of the Ashburn Baptist News
Since most people choose not to go to heaven (Matthew 7:13,14) they must have some very good reasons. We have collected some and here they are!
- I had enough religion when I was a kid.
- I would go but I have other plans.
- The songs are too formal. I don’t go for all that “Holy, Holy, Holy” stuff (Revelation 4:8).
- There is no football and I can’t live without it.
- Since I hold to evolution, what I would hear in heaven would be offensive to my beliefs (Revelation 4:11).
- Heaven is already prepared (John 14:2) and “I like it my way”.
- There is no beer!
- I’m not sure I’ll know anyone there.
- Those 24 male elders (Revelation 4:4) seem to be very important and I think that is sexist.
- I like being sick because it gets me much attention (Revelation 21:4).
- All my wealth is on earth and I don’t want to leave it (Matthew 6:19-21).
- I don’t know what I would do because there’s not any TV.
- There is Someone on a throne (Revelation 4:2) and I think we should all be equal.
- None of my friends will be there (Revelation 21:8,27; 22:15).
- They’re going to sing “a new song” (Revelation 5:9) and I don’t like contemporary music.
- There is no sex! (Matthew 22:30).
- The music is too loud (Revelation 5:12; 7:10; 11:15; 12:10; 19:1).
- I am a feminist and I am not going unless they name one-half of the twelve gates (Revelation 21:12) after women.
- No practicing sodomites are admitted (I Corinthians 6:9,10) and I’m against discrimination.
- There are no elections and I believe in democracy (Revelation 11:15; 19:6).
- Since I prefer sloppy sweatshirts and faded jeans, I don’t agree with the dress code (Revelation 7:9).
- The worship just takes too much time (Revelation 5:13).
- I don’t believe in Heaven or Hell but I would like to spend eternity in Hawaii.
- Because no one is admitted unless he repents of sin and personally receives Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (John 14:6; Acts 4:12), I think that’s being too narrow-minded.
The second installment of this article will appear when more reasons are collected.